The Basics of Vinyl Siding for Your Home

Exterior Remodeling

Most homes are built with either masonry (bricks, concrete blocks) or siding material installed over wood framed construction. In all cases, the design and materials for the sides of a home are there for both decoration and protection from the elements. This article talks about vinyl siding for homes with framed construction. Popular home siding materials have varied over time and include wood siding, asbestos siding, aluminum siding, vinyl siding, hardboard composite, and cement fiber siding. In this brief tutorial, we’re going to go into some details about vinyl siding, which has gained in popularity due to its relative low cost, durability and ease of installation. We’ll also touch on the impact of new siding in increasing your home’s resale value. Learn more tips on renovating your home at Home renovations in Melbourne.

Vinyl siding is made of synthetic materials, mostly polyvinyl chloride. This is what the abbreviation PVC stands for. About 80 percent of its weight is PVC resin, and the remaining 20 percent is composed of other ingredients that determine its color, sheen, resistance, flexibility, and it’s durability. The thickness of vinyl siding can vary from.40 mil in less expensive grades, often called “Builder’s Grade” to product as thick as.52 mil in the higher “Premium Grade” products. The premium grades of vinyl siding are more ‘pure’ PVC without recycled, ground up scraps and binders. Additionally, they have better color retention because they have UV protection added to help lessen the effect of the sun’s rays over time.

That’s one reason why you see so many vinyl siding options in pale colors. In order to maintain a deeper color palate, the siding must be a premium grade with la layer of UV protection to keep it from losing that color in short order. And with the premium grades of vinyl siding, the thickness and consistency of the product makes it less likely to crack in very cold weather when it is struck or bumped by a hard object, like a kid’s baseball. As with most products, you get what you pay for, so you need to weigh out your options based on what you intend to do with your home. Are you improving the façade so you can sell the house quickly, or are you intending to live there for many years? And are you expecting energy savings from this project? Whatever grade of vinyl you eventually choose for your home, we recommend that you do so with these factors in mind.

Without a doubt, Installation is key to a successful project. Do you know your Contractor? Are they licensed in your state? And are they bonded and insured and able to show you documentation? Check them out on Angie’s List or with the Better Business Bureau. Ask about warranties, and always get a written estimate.

Replacing your home’s siding with high grade vinyl can improve its curb appeal, and simultaneously increase its resale value. There’s an excellent, unbiased report called Cost VS Value Report that’s published by Remodeler Magazine each year that compiles data on how dozens of home renovation projects affect the subsequent resale of homes. High grade Vinyl Siding ranks high, probably because it improves energy efficiency and the curb appeal of a home at a relatively low cost. Only Fiber Cement Siding scores higher in improved home equity among siding replacement projects.